Thursday, March 15, 2012

New Friends

I had the most amazing evening last night!  I was able to meet - in person - another mom of a kiddo with phpv!  I met her through this blog and found out she lives in my state (well, our state - since we both live here).  She is on the other side but her family lives near me.  She was going to be in town to visit family so we met for dinner.  The awesome thing is that her son is only 5 days younger than Julia - they are literally the exact same age.  So we are both in the same stage of this journey.

He was so very cute!  We talked about contacts and surgery, our fears of glaucoma and how odd it is that we have to pack contact cases and solution in our diaper bags with bottles and wipes!  I felt like I was talking to someone who really GOT me - who understood the fears, worries, concerns.  She had literally walked in my shoes and it was a connection I will always cherish.

I have met other great moms through blogs.  And while I don't get to see them in person, I can feel their support and know that I have great women to turn to for advice and a shoulder to lean on.  And I know that they GET it.

Eye moms are the best.  We are strong and resiliant.  We fight for our kids vision.  This war may be long and the battles rough - but we are going to see it through to the end.  I have to believe that when I put a contact in Julia's eye and she is screaming - I have to believe that I am doing the right thing.  When I patch her eye and she is grumpy and clingy - I have to believe that we will win this war in the end.  When I take her to the opthamologist and they put in drops and use a metal contraption to hold open her eye - I have to know that this is worth the fight.  That when she is 16 and has both eyes to see out of - that she will thank me.  I am going to do what is the very best for my daughter - even if it is hard, painful, heart-wrenching and difficult.  Cause that's what mom's do.

And Kimberly, the wonderful mom I met last night, she is doing the same thing for her beautiful baby boy. 

And a pic of us will follow - I was a goof and forgot my camera so as soon as Kimberly emails the pic of us and our babies - I'll post it!

5 comments:

  1. So happy for you! That is awesome! I am a teeny-tiny bit jealous. :) BUT still extremely happy for you. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it awesome to talk to someone in person!!! I've been lucky enough to have 2 moms closeby!!
    Although my internet moms are precious to me. Couldn't get through it without you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was SO nice to meet with you and your beautiful daughter! I know we will have each other through this new friendship to lean on!

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very happy for you... and like Missy, also jealous!

    ReplyDelete