Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The day has arrived...

I knew this day would come eventually.  For the first month I absolutely dreaded it.  It made me sick to my stomach to think about it.  I agonized, dreaded and was anxious.  Then over the last month I have just come to accept that this day would finally arrive andt here was nothing I could do to change it.  Well, the day has come - Julia has lost a contact. 

I feel like I am handling it quite well.  I could scream and stomp my feet and go on about how life isn't fair - "Why Julia?  Why me?  There goes another 150 bucks we don't have.  This isn't fair."  But I'm not (well, maybe a little inside - but no complaining on the outside!).

I think I had prepared myself that she would lose some and to stress out is not going to make the contact magically appear.  She lost it somewhere at daycare.  I looked in her pack and play, the swing and the floor area where she plays.  I couldn't find it.  And since it isn't my house, I couldn't keep searching for hours and hours.  I had to let it go.  I just left - leaving instructions that if she found it to put it in the case I've left there.  I am not going to let a miniscule piece of silicon hydrogel ruin my day, my week or my life (or Julia's life).

I called the Dr. and he said he may have ordered a spare when he ordered the first one.  If he did, I can come pick it up tomorrow.  If not, he will order one.  We already had an appointment scheduled for Tuesday so we can get a new one then.  If she needs a new prescription on Tuesday, it will be under warranty and we can exchange it. 

I guess this is just part of the initiation into the "eye club."  Just one more thing to take in stride. 

I worry that she is going a few days without a contact and without patching.  The doc said that her eye will probably turn without the contact - and it really does.  She looks really cross eyed without it.  But again - nothing I can do.  I am choosing to remain calm and let this bump in the road roll off my back.  I may not do this next time, but for now. we are okay - even with a lost contact.

6 comments:

  1. I am sorry that the inevitable has happened. But congrats on going that long without losing one!!! The one thing I've learned is to enjoy the patchfree time. There isn't much of it so have fun and relax! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry... That is so frustrating. Enjoy your baby's snuggles without worry of finding a contact on your shirt for the next couple of days. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh... but, Welcome to the Club! Terrible initiation ritual, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying these days go by quickly. :) No, we don't have to do contacts, but you are right, it's always forking out money we don't have. But He always provides!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh bummer... it's a punch to the gut every time. And sometimes it hurts more than others. Gotta just learn to roll with it. It's gonna happen and it's gonna happen again. Hang in there though I think you are doing an awesome job!!! Enjoy the "free" time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry :( I do love the kissing pic, though:)

    ReplyDelete