Friday, February 24, 2012

Pink Eye

I am taking a break from writing about the beginning to catch everyone up on today.  First let me start by saying that I have the most amazing day care provider.  She is wonderful and loves my children.  I feel totally comfortable with her and trust her.  She has been great about helping with Julia's patching, making sure her contact stays in and doing tummy time and other things suggested by Julia's OT.  And Julia and Jed love being with other kids.  That is what is so wonderful about day care.  Jed and Julia are surrounded with other children and are learning social skills and playing with "friends."

But that is also what is so negative about day care - there are other kids there.  I know I cannot shield my children from every germ, but there are definitely more germs at day care with 10 kids than if we stayed home secluded in our own house. 

So I was scared silly yesterday when my wonderful day care provider informed me that one of the kids went home with pink eye.  Really, pink eye!  Like we haven't been through enough in the past month with an ear infection and sickness for Jed, and cough, RSV (with hospitalization) and pneumonia for Julia.  With the RSV Julia got an eye infection and iddn't wear her contact for a week.  She had to do antibiotic eye ointment 3 times a day.  Now she has been exposed to pink eye and I am terrified.  I don't want her to get infected because every day of no contact is a day of lost vision (at least that is how I see it).  Plus it is just uncomfortable to do more drops and I feel badly that my little girl has already had to endure so much when it comes to her eye.

So I am praying that she doesn't get it.  Our day care provider was awesome and immediately segregated the kids and disinfected everything.  And since Julia is so little, she usually doesn't come into physical contact with the other children or even the toys.  So I am staying positive.  But if you have a minute or two, say a prayer that pink eye doesn't visit our house!

No comments:

Post a Comment