Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Second opinion

Julia saw a new PO today - he was terrible. He was pretty rough with her and actually jammed her head into the slit lamp machine because he portable one was broken! Needless to say, I don't think I will be going back.

But here is the craziness - he is getting a completely different prescription than my original doc. He is saying that Julia's aphakic eye is only a 14.5, not a 21.5 like originally thought. Because the number is so low, he didn't recommend an IOL at this time (duh). He also said that her non-aphakic eye is farsighted at 4.5. This is the first that I have heard of any correction needed in her good eye. Kind of threw me for a loop. So he is recommending glasses for both eyes, aggressive patching and come back in a month. He thinks the eye turn is worse because she needs correction in her good eye.

So now I am confused and wondering how the two different docs could have such different prescriptions. He said it was okay to do glasses and not contacts - but I thought contacts were the "gold standard" for aphakic kids. Could her prescription be diffferent because her pressure went up to 22? He didn't even say anything about the pressure, but he probably didn't realize that her pressure was a 6 at the last surgery.

So we are seeing our normal PO tomorrow and I am going to fess up and tell him I got a second opinion and see what he thinks of this prescription. I definitely think contacts are going to be the way to go but I am curious to see what he thinks of her "good" eye needing correction.  The bummer is that I just spent almost 300 dollars on a pair of glasses that may now be useless.  I guess I can just have new lenses put in the frames.

Wish us luck tomorrow as we see good ole' Dr. H!


2 comments:

  1. HOpe today's visit goes well! Aren't all babies born far-sighted? I'm not sure accurate tests for that can be done until ~10-12 months of age. Hopefully Dr. H will clear things up a bit for you!!

    Glasses vs contacts... I think that is one of those debated things that no one really knows. (kinda in the IOL vs regular contacts) Heck, who can tell what they see? Our PO doesn't even OFFER glasses until 18 months of age, so I have no real perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose unless the second opinion was similar to the first, it would raise questions and present some confusion. It will be interesting to see what you come back with from your original PO. How stinkin cute is that pic of Julia!!! She is getting so big. :)

    ReplyDelete