Saturday, January 19, 2013

IFSP and snowdays

This blog is a little overdue.  I am a bit jealous of some other imom's that seem to find the time to blog a bit more often than I.  Not sure how they find the time - they must be superhuman superwoman supermoms.  I struggle to just get laundry done, dishes washed and kids bathed!  Someday I'll figure all this out.

Over Christmas break we had one day of snow.  Jed hasn't really been able to play in the snow, so this was his first opportunity to go outside and go sledding.  He was thrilled and kept saying, "I love playin in the 'no."  We went down the hill in the back yard over and over and he quickly realized that he would go a lot faster if I rode with him (I didn't tell him that it is because I weigh 5 times as much as he does!).

The snow only lasted a day - but it was sure fun while it was there!

 
 
If you look close int he pic above, you can see Julia photobombing.  And the wooden sign is a Christmas present from my hubby.  I've wanted one for ages so he found a place that makes them and drove 2 hours to get it and surprise me.  I love him.
 
Just an update on Jed.  I know I focus a ton on Julia -since her eye is why this blog started in the first place - but Jed is too awesome to leave out. 
 
He has started talking.  A lot.  Like never stops.  He comments on everything and his vocabulary amazes me.  He is potty trained (almost night trained too) and I am so proud of him.  I love when I ask him to do something and he says, "All right" in his little voice.  Every morning when we are leaving for daycare he makes me roll down the window so he can say good bye to Daddy. 
 
James says, "Bye Jed."
 
"Bye, Daddy."
 
"I love you Jed."
 
"I love you too Daddy."
 
Melts my heart every morning.
 
He is very polite.  Always says please and thank you and is quick to say, "Nice job, Mommy!" when I do anything remotely good.  He is starting to be more independent and wants to play in his room with his toys.  But he doesn't want to go alone - he wants Julia to play with him.  He really loves his little sister, he just sometimes hugs too hard. 
 
As for Julia, we just had her IFSP meeting.  These are the meetings we have every 6 months with First Steps (early intervention) to review her goals and services.  I got a little teary when we looked back at some of her goals.  I remember when her goals were to sit up on her own and to take a bottle faster.  Now she is working on being more confident in unfamiliar situations, scanning horizontally and vertically, using her peripheral vision and speech.
 
 
Right now she is doing great.  She will stop at a crack in the driveway because she can't tell if it is a step or just a crack.  But that is good!  At least she doesn't just step over everything - that could be dangerous since she doesn't have depth perception.  She is starting to try to use a fork and is completely off bottles.  She doesn't really do any pretend play, but she will dump out the buckets of play food and follow her brother around.  We are continuing vision services once a month and OT once a month.  We meet again in 6 months and will go over goals again and possible add in speech therapy.  She isn't really saying any words yet, but I'm not concerned yet.  She obviously understands things that we say to her, she just hasn't started talking.  The OT wants us to ditch the binky.  I'm not thrilled about it, but I understand her reasoning.  I told her we weren't going to attempt that until after surgery in a few weeks.
 
I found out that since she is in First Steps she qualifies for a 2 hour a week preschool program at United Services when she turns 18 months.  I'll need to find transportation there and back since it is during my work hours, but I am excited for her to be working with teachers and around other kids her age, even if it is only for a short time each week. 
 
 
I look at my little girl and realize that she is turning into a little person - she isn't a baby anymore.  That is a very sad thing, but also an awesome thing.  When I see all that she can do and remember all that she has overcome, I am very proud.
 
I'm nervous about her upcoming surgery.  I know it is necessary and I will be happy when her eyes are straight, but I am ready to have it over with.  I am just praying it will help with her head tilt too.  It has gotten more noticeable that she tilts her head to the left to see.
 
This is the "I didn't get my way" face.
 
 
So things are trucking along in our household.  I know she doesn't have her glasses on in these pics, but usually by evening, she is done with the glasses and won't wear them.  It happens every night when she starts to get tired.  I probably should force her to wear them, but I figure that after a long day of patching and wearing them, her eyes are probably tired.
 
So keep us in your prayers.  We see the doc for new measurements (of her eye turn) on Jan. 29 and then surgery in Feb. 5th.
 
And just for fun...
 
 


 



 

6 comments:

  1. I do not update my blog regularly, nor do I do my dishes every night after supper. Sometimes, I do them the next morning when I get back from dropping off Blake at school. Laundry well, it sucks. I try to live every day like it is my last, and who wants to do laundry on the last day they have on earth. :)

    The romping around is adorable. Glasses are hard in the evening for Austin too. They like to rub their eyes when they are tired. So when something obstructs them, they figure it out and ditch the problem... in the nearest refrigerator. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the snow day, love the new sign, and love your blog! I am in a loosing battle with my blog as well, more and more time is passing between each post. But honestly, in order for me to blog.. the dishes don't get cleaned, the laundry sits in the baskets, and eventually my priorities shift around again. Life is never ending, the to-do's are never ending, so when I'm inspired I allow myself to unwrap that gift. Love Missy's comment, who wants to do laundry on the last day of earth?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the Jed updates :) He is precious and would be BFF with Anderson, I think, if we lived closer!

    Julia is doing SO well and you should be so proud of yourself and of her. The surgery will be overwhelming and worrisome, but will pass just as the the past milestones have...with success!!

    And, I honestly only blog a lot because I have to sit on my kid's floor as he is falling asleep, so it is a nice 30 minute chunk when I am forced to sit in one spot. Blogging is like my therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Good Moms Have Sticky Floors, Messy Kitchens, Dirty Ovens, Piles of Laundry, And Happy Kids." How awesome is that quote? We could probably add a lot more to that like fight with patches and glasses, advocate for services our kids need and deserve. The list could go on and on. Congrats you're a terrific mom!
    Love all the pics and how much Jed and Julia enjoy each other. I remember when I used to wish for Nick to talk, couldn't wait. And now I can't wait to put him to bed at 8 because I can't honestly answer another question about deer hunting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Laura...my name is Nicole and I found your blog last night and have been reading since! I recently became an imom. My daughter had cataract extraction surgery on the 12th, she was 7weeks old. She also received an IOL at this time. I admire your strength and hope to become as strong one day! I have a question...where did you learn all of your tips/tricks? Like milk of mag, colored patches, getting them to stay on, getting them off, etc? I'm just beginning this journey and want as much info as possible.
    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole - welcome to the exclusive imom club. I'm sorry you have to join us on this journey. As another imom has said (shout out to Melissa Glover), this is a marathon. And unfortunately, it isn't a marathon that we have voluntarily signed up for - we were drafted for this long journey. I know things seem really, really overwhelming right now, but I promise that it becomes easier. As for the tips and tricks - a lot of them I learned from other imoms. If you check out the blogs that I follow, many of them are imoms that are ahead of me on this journey. I also joined an aphakic kids yahoo group. There is a facebook group for aphakic kids and also the "little four eyes" facebook group and blog are helpful as well. I don't have time to gather links to all those right now, but if you want to email me at Kittynoah@hotmail.com, I can try to gather them. Hang in there. Like I said, it really does get easier (okay - patching doesn't seem to get easier, but we are in a rough patch right now and the other imoms promise me it gets easier eventually!).

      Delete