Wednesday, August 1, 2012

More contact drama

Julia and I have really bad luck.  Well, at least when it comes to contacts.  If you read my last post, you saw that the contact company had screwed up AGAIN and sent an 8.6 when Julia needs a 6.8.   They assured the Eye Clinic that they were overnighting a new one and it would arrive on Monday.  No problem.  Doctor appointment is Wednesday.  We will pick it up while we are there, have it checked, voila - no problem. 

I get a call from the Eye Clinic this morning.  No contact.  They can't find it.  Can't get a tracking number because the company is in Colorado and an hour behind so they aren't open.  I started crying and told them I was coming to the appointment anyway because I had questions for the Doc.

It was an emotional appointment.  Dr. H was so very gentle and explained everything with grace and support.  I had my list of questions (again!) and he patiently answered them all, even when it was answers he knew I didn't want to hear.

So apparently an eye floating up is normal in aphakic kids.  The brain can't comprehend the dissonance between the images and to make it bearable the eye "floats."  Hopefully it will be corrected with the contact. We will look at surgery for the eye crossing and floating up if it is doing it more than 30% of the time with the contact in.  He explained that any kiddo with a prescription over +3 is going to have an eye cross when they don't have glasses or contacts.  So when you get into prescriptions like +19 (what Julia's is) there is going to be crossing!  Hopefully some extended time wearing her contact will help.

Julia's eye also "jumps" when she is patched and I thought it was her trying to focus.  Nope.  It is nystagmus - also common in aphakic kids.  He explained something about her eye not being "fixated" like yours or mine because she didn't have visual stimulation those first months.  I didn't quite understand - but did understand that this is just another part of the package. 

The head tilt is also part of the package.  She is trying to have things in her field of vision in her left eye so she can see them.

We went over the numbers from the EUA and everything looked good.  Her cornea is super, super steep (which I already knew) but he compared her number to a normal person and I was surprised.  Probably explains why a contact don't stay in (think of trying to keep a beanie hat on a pointy head versus a flat head).

He understood my concern with the difficulty we are having with contacts.  He agreed that her being in a lens 50% of the time is not acceptable.  He suggested we give this next contact a shot and if things aren't improving we will talk with the surgeon about implanting an IOL early.  There are risks of complications with IOL's, but the benefits of constant correction in her vision outweigh the risks at this point.  I am also going to invest in some backup contacts (a hefty investment) so that we can have several spares at home.  That way, if they keep falling out and getting lost, we have another one ready and don't have to wait weeks for a new one.  It isn't ideal, but it is what we need to do for now.

We also are increasing her patching time.  She will now patch half of her waking hours.  It is going to be a challenge, but it is so necessary for her to have good outcomes.

He carefully told me that he is not giving up - his job is to bring her vision into focus and keep it in focus and he was going to do that.  He also assured me that I was doing everything right - this was not anything I could control.  I really needed to hear that.  I was having a "mommy guilt" day and was feeling like I must be doing something wrong and I was failing my daughter.

We go back in 4 weeks.  The contact should arrive in the office tomorrow - so I am picking it up on Friday.  If it seems to stay in, I am going to call and order the spares.

In some good news - Julia had a hearing test and passed with flying colors.  I cracked up during the test because she was sitting on my lap and they would say her name through the speakers to get her to turn her head.  When she turned her head, these toys would light up and make noise.  She was exactly like Pavlov's dog and everytime she hear a sound, she whipped her head to the side to see the toys light up!  Hilarious!

No pics today - don't have the time or energy.  But definitely will put some up before I go back to work in a week and a half!  Ack!  The summer is almost gone...

5 comments:

  1. Laura,

    I've had several of these "let's get real" doctor's appointments and I know the emotional turmoil it brings. I understand all too well about the eye jump, the head tilt (head turn in our case) and the talk of muscle surgeries. We will be planning a muscle surgery sometime probably within the next year. McCoy's eyes cross, and jump and he turns his head almost painfully to the left to help focus things in the corner of his eye. I commend you for your courage and strength and love for your daughter. You may feel like an emotional mess, but you are one hell of an emotional mess IMOM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing everything right, just like the doctor said. You didn't cause this and you are doing literally everything you can to fix it. The increase in patching will be rough, but you will make it, just like you have made it to this point! I love your doctor-he seems great!! Also, I am a huge fan of the benefits of an IOL. I know it is scary, but it has been a ridiculous blessing for us. Thanks for sharing and hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a rockstar iMom and Julia is a rockstar iKid. I'm glad the doc was straight with you- even if painful! In my limited history- the age that Julia is was the hardest for me. So many changes meant a lot of contact drama at our house, too. I hope things get better for you... IOL or less contact drama. Either one will be good! Hugs from Michigan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry you had one of those appointments. Trust me, I know how you feel. We stood in your exact shoes many times. Hence the nausea pre any eye clinic appointment. I pray they can sort things out for Julia and for you. Nicole's nystagmus improved greatly with patching. If you look closely you can notice, but not as obvious as it was when we first started patching. Head tilt is gone too. So stay positive!! Boo for the increased patchtime....but you will do!! Truthfully, we found that Nicole did better once patchtime increased. Don't know why or if it was coincidental but as Julia gets older she will be easier to entertain while patched which is a huge bonus! And woohoohoo for the great hearing test!! So happy for you guys!! You are doing an awesome job Momma!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this journey is long and rough and hard and bumpy. I know it's so hard to watch your child struggle just to see, eye squints, head turns, funny eye movements. It's heartbreaking really and truly. Allow yourself to feel that but then be fueled by it. And know that you are doing everything you can to make her life, her vision better. She will be the best she can be because of you. The results will not show themselves tomorrow but in time you will see and so will SHE. "You know you are an imom" embrace it! ;) BIG BIG ((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete